Some of the top most trusted veterinarians of the world who spoke to My Nine Lives have recently told us they are seeing more pets coming down with illnesses or even dying because of pet owners feeding their animals these 12 foods. Many people think that their cats can eat what humans eat, but this is just simply not the case. Felines do not metabolize human foods the same way that us humans do. Several of the foods we eat without problems to us than can hurt, and even cause death to cats. Here we have the top 12 foods to never ever feed to your cat, except a couple of them are okay if just every once in a while (like the tuna, milk, and dog food).
1. Chocolate. Chocolate contains caffeine, Camethylxanthines and Theobromine. When cats eat any foods with these compounds, they will cause cats to have symptoms of hyperactivity, discomfort and excessive thirst. These three symptoms can cause your kitty to have abnormal heart rhythms, heart attack, seizures and death.
2. Avocados. The avocado fruit contains Persin, which is a fungicidal toxin to felines. when eaten by cats, the Persin toxin can cause severe vomiting, diarrhea, congestion, respiratory problems, fluid accumulation around the heart, and even death.
3. Grapes and raisins. Raisins are dehydrated grapes. Either of these are highly toxic to cats because can lead to sudden acute kidney failure. Symptoms include diarrhea, abdominal pain, lack of appetite, lethargy, weakness, and decreased urination.
4. Onions. Onions contain Sulfoxides and Disulfides which can destroy red blood cells and can cause serious blood problems including anemia in cats. Also, beware of onion powder which can be hidden in certain foods.
5. Garlic. Avoid giving anything that contains garlic to your cat because it has even more toxins in them than onions, that can hurt or cause severe illness to kitties. Oh, and the toxins in garlic are even more concentrated too.
6. Raw Eggs. Never let your cat eat raw eggs because the risk of salmonella or E.coli is too high and both can cause serious problems for a pets as well as humans! They are also unhealthy to cats because egg whites contain Avidin, which can stop Vitamin B absorption.
7. Meat Fat Trimmings. A little bit of fat from meat is okay, but feeding your cat a bunch of fat trimmed from that pot roast is NOT good at all because it can cause stomach problems, severe vomiting and diarrhea. And, long term, it can cause heart attack or stroke.
8. Cooked Bones. Cooked meat bones are very dangerous to cats. They could fragment when cooked and cause internal lacerations or bowel obstructions, cause choking, and cause severe digestive problems. It is okay for your cat to eat fresh meat and bones from natural cat foods such as predators that they caught themselves like mice, rats, birds, lizards, rabbits, squirrels, and so on.
9. Cream, Milk and other Dairy Products. Never give a lot cream or milk to an adult cat because once a kitten becomes an adult cat, they become lactose intolerant. A little dab every once in awhile is okay. The lactose in milk products will cause them to get diarrhea, dehydration, and kidney stones …so do not give them dairy products often.
10. Canned Tuna. Now giving your cat tuna every once in awhile as a treat is okay. However, a steady diet of canned tuna can lead to malnutrition in cats. Also, too much canned tuna can cause mercury poisoning.
11. Gum and Candy. Gum and candy is not ideal for cats at all, never give them gum or candy. Processed sugar and Xylitol can cause an increase in the insulin circulating through your cat’s body. This causes their blood sugar to drop and can cause vomiting, lethargy, loss of coordination, seizures, and liver failure.
12. Dog Food. It is not toxic and it is okay of your cat eats a bite or two of dog food sometimes. However, a steady diet of dog food can cause a cat to be severely malnourished. Cat food is specially formulated for a cat’s needs with extra proteins.